South Africans have become so accustomed to living and working in homes and buildings made of brick, concrete and steel, that the eco-friendly and sustainable option of wood structures aren't always the natural choice.
But the benefits of building with wood are immense:
Wood is lighter than brick
- We will not need to underpin your foundations to extend your home upwards.
- Wood requires lighter foundations than brick, so we're able to erect larger structures even if ground conditions are poor i.e. in areas with clay soil.
- Lighter structures and foundations equals less expense.
Wood is dry
- No setting time is needed which speeds up construction.
- Adverse weather conditions do not slow down construction.
- Electricians and plumbers can begin work before the structure is complete with the added benefit of easy installation.
- With no need for cement or sand, construction sites are much cleaner than on conventional building sites.
- There is a lower risk of shrinkage and subsequent structural damage, so there are fewer call-backs.
Wood is Green
- Heaven's Lofts uses sustainable wood, making this the only true environmentally friendly, renewable building option.
- Wood has a low carbon footprint.
- Wood's insulation properties also reduce your own carbon footprint, as fewer resources will be wasted on heating and cooling.
Wood is economical
- Building with wood typically result in a 30% quicker turnaround time than building with brick and mortar, meaning lower expenses on your part.
- Wood is more controllable and predictable, which further translates into savings.
- Since all materials are custom-prepared for each site, there are no excess stored on site – resulting in reduced waste due to theft and/or over-ordering.
- After completion, wooden structures continue to save you money – with lower heating and cooling bills.
Wood is flexible
- With wood, our designers have more flexibility when designing your room or house.
- There are many external finishes and cladding which wood alone, can use.
- Once built, wooden structures continue to offer flexibility – you can add on with ease.